What Is Early Orthodontic Treatment?
What Are the Benefits of Early Orthodontic Treatment?
- Reducing the need for later tooth removal
- Guiding jaw growth and correcting bite issues
- Preventing erupting teeth from becoming crowded
- Preserving space for permanent teeth to erupt
- Reducing future orthodontic treatment time
- Ensuring proper chewing and biting
- Eliminating poor oral habits, like thumb sucking or tongue thrust
- Helping with speech and breathing
- Preventing or intercepting developing skeletal problems, such as “Underbite,” Severe “Overbite,” Crossbite, or other jaw-related concerns.
- Reducing the risk of protruding front teeth breaking or chipping
- Minimizing the need for corrective jaw surgery or extractions
- Creating facial symmetry and improving appearance
What Problems Does Early Orthodontic Treatment Address?
- Underbites – when the lower front teeth bite ahead of the upper front teeth
- Crossbites – when the upper back teeth bite on top of, or inside the lower teeth
- Thumb-, finger-, or pacifier- sucking that affects the teeth or jaw growth
- Very crowded teeth
- Excessively spaced teeth
- Extra or missing teeth
- Teeth that meet abnormally, or don’t meet at all
Is My Child a Candidate for Early Orthodontic Treatment?
It may not always be easy to know if your child will need orthodontic treatment. Going to an orthodontist can determine whether they would benefit from interceptive orthodontic treatment while their teeth and jaws are still developing. Here are a few signs that can help you determine if your child may require treatment:
- Overcrowded or Crooked Teeth
- Mouth Breathing
- Issues Chewing
- Abnormal Tooth Loss
- Finger/Thumb Sucking
- Difficulty Speaking
Shaping Radiant Smiles with the Advantage of Early Orthodontic Treatment
It may seem unusual to address orthodontic issues when your child still doesn’t have all their permanent teeth, but this valuable period provides an opportunity to address problems before they arise. Early orthodontics can prevent an alignment problem from developing at all, or stop a problem before it becomes severe.
At Daniels Orthodontics, we offer a complimentary consultation to help our young patients have their best chance at the amazing smile they deserve.
Schedule an appointment to find out more about our early treatment options today!